Tips for Computer Screen Eye Protection
Did you know that the average office worker spends 1,700 hours per year in front of a computer screen, without even considering the time spent on a phone or other digital device? All this screen time has led to an increase in complaints of eye strain, dry eye, headaches and insomnia. Computer use causes more eye strain than reading print material because focusing your eyes on computer screens or other digital screens is typically at less than ideal angles and distances and your blink rate decreases by a third to a half, causing dry eyes as well. Follow these simple tips for protecting your eyes from this computer screen eye strain:
- Keep Your Distance: Keep the screen at arm’s length, about 25 inches away and position it so your eye gaze is slightly downward.
- Reduce Glare: Use a matte screen filter to reduce glare.
- Adjust Lighting: Adjust your room lighting to get the highest screen contrast increase the contrast on your screen as much as possible.
- Take Breaks: Blink and follow the 20-20-20 rule. Take a break every 20 minutes by looking at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Keep Eyes Moist: Keep artificial tears nearby to lubricate your eyes when they feel dry.
- Stop Screen Use Before Bed: Limit screen time one to two hours before bedtime and use nighttime settings on devices and computers that minimize blue light exposure.
If you experience consistently dry red eyes or eye pain at any time, but especially with computer screen use please schedule an eye exam at Call North Jersey Eye Associates 973-472-4114, or visit North Jersey Eye Associates or Facebook.
North Jersey Eye Associates is a comprehensive eye care practice staffed by NJ ophthalmologists and eye specialists located at 1005 Clifton Avenue, Clifton, NJ 07013 (P) 973-472-4114-an affiliate of Prism Vision Group.