Save Your Eyes from Too Much Screen Time
We are all guilty of spending too much time in front of computer screens, on digital devices and even just out phones. This excessive use of digital display screens time has led to an increase in complaints of eye strain, dry eye, headaches and even insomnia. Computer eyestrain and dryness results from prolonged close focusing and not blinking enough while using these screens.
Some tips for helping computer or digital eyestrain include:
- Keep Your Distance: Your eyes actually have to work harder to see close up than far away. Try keeping your computer monitor or screen at arm’s length, about 25 inches away. Position the screen so your eye gaze is slightly downward.
- Reduce Glare: Glass screens can produce glare that can aggravate the eye. Try using a matte screen filter.
- Adjust Lighting: If a screen is much brighter than the surrounding light, your eyes have to work harder to see. Adjust your room lighting and try increasing the contrast on your screen to reduce eye strain.
- Give Your Eyes a Break: Remember to blink and follow the 20-20-20 rule. Take a break every 20 minutes by looking at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Looking into the distance allows your eyes to relax.
- Keep Your Eyes Moist: Keep artificial tears at hand to help lubricate your eyes when they feel dry. Consider using a desktop humidifier. Office buildings have humidity-controlled environments that suck moisture out of the air. In winter, heaters on high can further dry your eyes.
- Stop Using Digital Devices Before Bed: There is evidence that blue light may affect the body’s circadian rhythm, our natural wake and sleep cycle. During the day, blue light wakes us up and stimulates us. So, too much blue light exposure late at night from your phone or other devices may make it harder to get to sleep. Limit screen time one to two hours before bedtime. Use nighttime settings on devices and computers that minimize blue light exposure.
If you or someone you know suffers from digital eyestrain or dryness, please call us today to schedule an appointment at North Jersey Eye Associates 973-472-4114, or visit North Jersey Eye Associates or Facebook.
North Jersey Eye Associates is a comprehensive eye care practice staffed by NJ ophthalmologists and eye specialists located at 1005 Clifton Avenue, Clifton, NJ 07013 (P) 973-472-4114-an ffiliate of Prism Vision Group.
Link to North Jersey Eye Associates Google Review Page
Review Us On Google